Friday 8 June 2012

Slimming world chocolate cake




Now although I love the food choices from Slimming world and the fact that you can eat whatever you want if you allow for it and syn it I am disappointed with their cake recipes. To date I haven't found a cake that actually tastes cakey and has the right texture to really satisfy my cake cravings, which I don't get all that often but when I do I want something that tastes like proper cake. So for all of you reading this that are currently living the slimming world lifestyle (because its more of a lifestyle than a diet) this cake doesn't include any heavy whisking of egg whites then adding sweetener and throwing it into the oven before it collapses and hoping to god that this recipe is the one that will taste like cake and not sweet omelette.

I am in general opposed to using any sort of cake mix from a box, they normal taste of just sugar but after all slimming and no cake you get a little desperate. I have to admit I felt dirty all over using a box mix but at least it was Betty Crocker, which as far as I know is the BMW of the cake mix world.

So this is my low syn chocolate fairy cake recipe, It is 3 syns a cupcake.

Makes 36 fairy cakes


1 box of Betty Crocker Devils food cake mix.
1 can of diet coke (330ml)
2 eggs
36 standard size cupcake cases (not the slightly larger ones or muffin cases. These are like the small white ones your mum used to make fairy cakes in)

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius or gas mark 4 (according to Google)

Empty the box mix into a mixing bowl or large dish. Crack the eggs into the mix and add the can of coke.

Mix the recipe well, divide it between 36 fairy cake cakes and cook it for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle cake come out clean.

I found the mix looked grainy when I was done mixing it but it still cooked well. It should be ok as long as there are no lumps of power left in it.

These cakes taste really nice on their own but I know what your thinking a proper fairy cake always has an icing or topping on it right? Well do not fear for I have just the recipe, and everyone on the slimming plan will have already made and likely have the ingredients for in the cupboard already.

Quark frosting

1 tub of Quark (which is a light soft cream cheese) any size
2 sachets of chocolate options drink, which ever flavour you want

Mix them both together and divide between the cakes.

Now if you were to eat all of this frosting in one go it would be 4 syns, but when it's over 36 cupcakes it is effectively syn free because it does change the overall syn value of the cakes.








6 comments:

  1. this is bad advertising, it may be 3 years old, but its still wrong to post something that is false advertising. There is no way that ANY bought cake box is syn free

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a bit unfair, I don't see syn free on this page anywhere! It says they are 3 syns each!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not once dose it say syn free! And the cakes are very nice.read before you comment I would suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ICING would be syn free if you spread it over all 36 cupcakes as 4 syns ÷ 36 = 0.1 syns. NOT the cupcakes, they remain 3 suns each.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there , could you use another cake mix in place of betty crocker

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound so nice will be making them this weekend thank for the recipe

    ReplyDelete